Saturday

Finally!

Congratulate me! I just finished reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.


Actually, I bought this copy when I was still in 3rd year high school. I dunno why it took me almost 4 years to finish reading it. Hmm... Maybe because Shelley's language here was the kind of English that'll make someone curl up on her bed and sleep tight. See, on my first attempt to read it, I only finished halfway through the first chapter, then I felt drowsy. My second attempt, my head ached so much because I had to read a paragraph a couple of times just to have a full comprehension of it. After that, I almost forgot that I haven't finished reading this one yet. So when I 'rediscovered' this on my bookshelf some weeks ago, I had to read it again from the beginning. 


So if you haven't read this yet, but is interested in doing so, I recommend that you read this when you're in the mood for comprehending 19th century English.


Also, stop reading this if you don't want even the slightest spoilers. :)


Frankenstein is a very clever mix of science fiction, horror, and romance. Victor Frankenstein's work on his artificial life experiment excited me; the monstrous creature's narrative about De Lacey's family broke my heart; Victor's profound love for Elizabeth moved me; the deaths of Victor's loved ones made me cry; and the wrath that the creature had created fury inside of me, but his repentance just made me cry once more.


I actually had seen myself through Frankenstein's and his creature's life. Like Frankenstein, I also have very big ambitions in the field that I am into now. I want to have a big name in science, though I am not sure of the consequences my 'future discoveries' (if there'll be any) will bring. Like the monstrous creature, I also question mankind's culture to judge one person just by the way he/she looks. Being a long-time wallflower myself, I envy those who gain friends and love just because of their Venus-like or Adonis-like features. I share the same sentiment, though on a different level, as the creature.


When I still haven't read this novel, I thought that Frankenstein is the name of the monstrous creature. So when I was reading, I actually in a search for the creature's name. Shelley NEVER gave a name for the creature, but why are many people attaching the name 'Frankenstein' to the monster? I think, it's because Frankenstein himself IS a monster. Not by form, but by personality. He became wretched because of too much ambition.


This novel also made me think about most people's belief in the 'Creator'. While reading the book, I was actually thinking to myself, "Does God feel the same way as Dr. Frankenstein? God created ALL human beings, yet He seem to dislike the gays, the lesbians, the transgenders. God gave ALL human beings free will, yet He seem to hate people who does not submit to Him. God created Satan, yet He cannot forgive the fallen angel." The God described in the Bible, it seemed to me, is like Dr. Frankenstein in the novel. After giving life, they both caused misery to their creations just because they both hated the imperfections of their creations. Why haven't they destroyed their creations before giving them life in the first place? Could a God, who is like Frankenstein, exist?


Sorry for being a bit atheistic there.


Though Frankenstein may get your nose bleeding from its syntax, this is definitely a page-turner. I absolutely love Mary Shelley's absurd imagination.


But, the only thing I dislike from it is the way it seemed to go against a man having an great ambition. As Victor Frankenstein said (which seemed to me to be the main theme of Victor's narrative):
"Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the aqcuirement of knowledge and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow."
It seemed to me that Shelley was against people who try to acquire grater knowledge on science. Was it because of the Catholic Church's dominating power during her time? Was she afraid to be doomed an anti-Christ during her time? Was she afraid to willingly accept the greatness that science can bring to humankind? I wonder, if she were to be alive today, what could be her thoughts on human cloning? Or on cell regeneretion studies? Or on modern people's search on living forever young?


Frankenstein, though its plot may not be as flawless as other novels I have already read, actually gives its readers points to ponder regarding their beliefs, their ambitions, and their way of living.

1 comment:

  1. ewan ko pero ubos na talaga ang pasensya ko sa libro.. kahit na nga sa mga graphic novels nina gaiman, alan moore, mga marvels tsaka dc, wala na.. buti ka pa.. hehhehe

    ReplyDelete