So last night, the brotha! and I were watching Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho on GMA7. There was a segment featuring the controversial video "20 Reasons Why I Dislike the Philippines". Since (I suppose) my brother hasn't been able to watch it, he immediately logged in to Youtube and searched the video.
He wasn't even half a minute into the video when he shared it on Facebook and commented, "sobra naman 2..."
And I was like, SERIOIUSLY???
It's the problem with us Filipinos, eh? We react too much at something negative said to our country. We are just too defensive. But, have we done anything yet to improve our country even just a little?
If you were among the Filipinos who would throw your candy wrappers or bus tickets anywhere, you don't have the right to react to this video. (And yes, my brother is among this kind of Filipinos.)
If you were among the Filipino men who would pee anywhere you wanna pee, you don't have the right to react to this video. (And yes, my brother is among this kind.)
It's a fucking eye opener for us, fellow countrymen. Do not be too shallow.
P.S. I have to give kudos to the Cebu City mayor (was it Cebu?) for not making the Jimmy guy a persona non grata in their city. He's right, their local government should use this video as a driving force to making their city beautiful.
And oh, just read this for 20 times, just so to complete the 20 Reasons. Hehehe.
I just found a copy of Comet at Booksale SM North for only a hundred pesos! Hahaha!
Now, I already have Dragons of Eden, Cosmos, Contact, and this one. Still more Sagan books to go!
- Intelligent Life in the Universe
- The Cosmic Connection: An Extraterrestrial Perspective
- Broca's Brain: Reflections on the Romance of Science
- Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors: A Search for Who We Are
- Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
- The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
- Billions and Billions: Thoughts on Life and Death at the Brink of the Millennium
- The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search for God
I hope I can see copies of these in some Booksale (or any second-hand bookshops). I want to have a collection of books (real ones, not e-books) of Carl Sagan. 4 books as of now? Not bad, considering I only started about two months ago hunting Dr. Sagan's books.